Thursday, February 14, 2013

Baby Signs

I knew pretty early on that I wanted to teach Camp some sign language. I always taught my second graders several basic signs, and I found a great baby signing book at a thrift store. I didn't do as well with it as I had hoped, but after months of showing Camp a few easy and useful words, he finally got it! Now, he's really on a roll. He can sign for "more," "eat," "please," "all done," "milk," "chew what you've got first and then swallow (one Jonathan just sort of made up)", and sometimes "clean." He will sometimes also do half of "thank you." Most of the signs he knows are mealtime related because that's about the only waking time that he is sitting still and paying much attention to us. It is so nice that he is beginning to communicate with us in a way that makes sense to everyone.
*This video is a little fuzzy...I guess I forgot to focus it. Oops.
What signs should we teach him next?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've been getting a lot of spam comments, so I hate to do it to you, but I've put the word verification back on so you have to prove you're "not a robot." Please don't let that stop you from leaving a note!