Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Crafty Soss

A while back, after some great inspiration from one of Camp's baby gifts and Pinterest, I got crafty.  I wanted to make a special gift for Camp's new second cousin, Sam. I didn't want to leave out Sam's big brother, Clark, so I decided on a project for him too.

Camp has received two handmade "taggies" that he adores. Motivated and inspired by my best friend Jen's creation, I set out to make a small taggie for Baby Sam. I found a great tutorial to use as a guide and set to work! I used a flannel cloud fabric, a cotton textured print fabric, and a variety of ribbons. I opted to leave out the batting to make it easier on me to sew and also to keep the taggie less bulky for diaper bag travel.

Two different fun and feel good fabrics
Pieces of ribbon in a variety of colors, textures, and patterns
The finished product!!!

My next project was a piece of cake and a lot of fun! I had seen the "I Spy" bottles sold in stores with different hidden treasures to seek as you twist and turn the bottle. I came across this DIY version on Pinterest and just had to try it out, thinking it would be fun for the young and old! I love the idea of using the VOSS plastic water bottles (I found mine at Bi-Lo) because they are a perfect shape and have a wider mouth opening to put in your trinkets. Just be sure to hot glue your top on when you're finished so the lid stays on nice and tight, and there's no risk of a big mess or a choking hazard. To make it personalized, include the letters of the recipient's name in your I Spy collection. I had the pictures of the objects printed, laminated them on my personal laminator, hole punched in the corner, and tied them all together with a ribbon to make a book. Now you have a guide for treasure hunting!

Drink water. Remove labels. Wash and dry bottle.
Collect all your little treasures and take pictures.




          
Fill your bottle almost to the top with rice and trinkets. Hot glue the lid and let dry. Shake, rattle, and roll to find all the treasures.                     


















I'm thinking about making more of these little bottles with different themes like "I Spy Christmas" and "I Spy Beach." What trinkets would you drop into your I Spy bottle?

2 comments:

  1. And Clark and Sam love their gifts from their crafty cousin!! The I Spy bottle usually rides in the car with Clark! Thank you so much! - Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete

I've been getting a lot of spam comments, so I hate to do it to you, but I've put the word verification back on so you have to prove you're "not a robot." Please don't let that stop you from leaving a note!