Monday, November 5, 2012

Camp's First Birthday Farm Party (the details)

When Camp was about 6 months old, I started thinking about his first birthday party. I love hosting parties, so I knew I would have to get going early to make this one perfect.  I had two theme options, but after visiting a children's store in Augusta and finding an adorable outfit for Camp, I went with the farm theme. Yes, I made the decision based on baby clothes. Done and done.

And so Camp's very first birthday party was born...
I made and ordered the invitations from Tiny Prints. The back had three cute pictures of the birthday boy from throughout the year. My favorite part was the RSVP with "Yay" or "Neigh."
From there, I started shopping and searching the house for all the props, decorations, food, and supplies. Since I have collected pigs since junior high, I have quite a nice supply of piglets around. My old classroom was decorated with a farm theme, so I also happen to own some cows and other assorted farm animal items. I created a board on Pinterest for inspiration, and I made a long list of projects to complete. After more than two months of planning and preparing, the big day was finally here!

The Decorations

Welcoming Pig on a hay bale!
 
Camp's birthday chair- I made the cow print and red fabric bunting and the special birthday cone hat!
Who doesn't love a cow lamp? Special thanks to Sarah Burr for getting this cow safely home to us!
Horse flag which I made several years ago for a Cup-themed party in Columbia at PSH.
Special piggy banks displayed pictures of Camp from birth to 11 months!
I crafted this wreath out of a plumbing foam tube and scrap fabric!
Cool barn that Camp's Grandad and Daddy created just for him!
The second barn which made its home inside by the food table

Mini hay bale, stacked piggies, and a hand-painted wooden "1" make the food table complete.

Two strands of these adorable pig lights (given to me as a birthday gift from my best friend, Jen) were shining bright over the food table but didn't seem to make it into any of the full vision pictures!
I wanted something special to remember this awesome day and everyone who celebrated with us, so I made this sign...

...and put it by a plain blue plate from Big Lots with some Sharpies=Autograph plate to use as a birthday plate every year (after I bake it in the oven to "seal" it)!

Found these great cow print balloons at Hobby Lobby!
The Food and Drink
The Watering Hole outside on the party deck- on the table we served red wine, lemonade, and sweet tea.
Pumpkin Wheat Shock Top, Lime-a-Rita, white wine in the bucket; Water bottles wrapped in denim duct tape and apple juice boxes in the wheelbarrow.
A wooden cow I found at Goodwill was spray painted with chalkboard paint to make a cute sign; Brown and white striped straws found on clearance at Target added a little fun to the beverages; Note that the wine even fit the farm theme with the rooster logo!
CAMPcakes with home-made cupcake toppers
Camp's Mimi made these delectable haystacks and set up the cute farm scene on the platter with a tractor and farm set that Camp's daddy played with as a boy.

Cows in a blanket, Farm Fresh Eggs (deviled eggs), and the rest of the yummy food on the red and white gingham tablecloth
Corndog Muffins, Chicken Feed, Apple Harvest Wagon Wheels, Cheddar Bunnies, and Garden Vegetable Straws. I found the cute little red and white polka dot paper muffin cases/serving cups at Marshalls, and they were perfect for kiddy snacks!
Aren't these gingham napkins from the dollar bin at Michael's so cute?

home-made piggy cupcake topper
home-made cow cupcake topper
green gingham back to cupcake toppers
 The Activities

I always want everyone at my parties to feel comfortable and have fun. The best way to get people mingling, talking, and enjoying a party is to have some games or activities. Since this was a 1 year old's party, most of the activities were geared towards children. We did have cornhole set up in the yard and football on the tv inside for the adults. Here's a look at the set-up of our fun farm activities.
Hayrides in the wagon
Horse Pinata (this one was actually for my cousin, AvaRose, who turned 5 the day before the party and was dying to have a pinata! Her mom found the perfect pinata and filled it with delicious candy. Thanks, Kam!)
Every farm party needs a petting zoo!
Ours just happened to be of the stuffed animal variety...
Pinterest gave me the inspiration for this pin the tail on the donkey game, and it's my favorite craft project from this party!
Pony Races with hobby horses...squeeze their ears and they actually make horsey sounds!

That's most of the details from Camp's first birthday party. There's more to come in the next blog posts with pictures of the cake smash, presents, and fun!!!

*Special Thanks to: Jonathan, Mary Martha, Kyle, Sherry, Cody, Paul, Abbie, Brooke, Lissa, Lou, Kam, Amanda B., Katherine M., Ashley S. and others for all the help with crafting, cooking, prepping, Campsitting, buying supplies, and loaning of party gear. I couldn't have done it without you!!! Thank you so much :-)


5 comments:

  1. LOVE the petting zoo ... so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so creative! Keep the expectations low for this weekend :) Can't wait to see you all. So sorry we missed the barnyard fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything looks so adorable! Fab job!!!! Happy early birthday, sweet boy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you know who owns that cow lamp and if they'd be willing to sell it?? Been looking for that exact one for years

    ReplyDelete

I've been getting a lot of spam comments, so I hate to do it to you, but I've put the word verification back on so you have to prove you're "not a robot." Please don't let that stop you from leaving a note!