Wednesday, July 16, 2014

One Dollar Wednesday: Dancing Raisins

After quite a break from the One Dollar Wednesday posts, here's a fun one for your Hump Day!

With the heat and new baby, we've spent more time indoors lately. I have also spent a lot of time on Pinterest while nursing little Savvie, so I'm coming up with lots of big ideas for indoor fun that usually don't materialize. This morning I saw a cool science experiment that required no planning, and I already had the needed items for it. Since I had all of the needed materials on hand, the cost for me was actually free.

Get two clear glasses (I used mason jars).  Fill one with tap water and the other with carbonated water (I used Sprite Zero). Put a handful of raisins in a cup or bowl. Tell your mini scientist to drop some of the raisins in the plain water and observe what happens. Then, let your little person drop one raisin at a time into the carbonated water. And ABRACADABRA: DANCING RAISINS!




(Sorry for the poor picture quality on these! Not sure what my iPhone was thinking this morning.)
 The raisins in the bubbly beverage will sink, then float, then sink again. Some will look like they are dancing. The science behind it is that the bubbles from the carbonation will float the raisin to the top and when the bubbles pop, it will sink back down again! It's so simple, yet pretty fascinating. I think I was more amused than Camp, but it was a fun little learning activity to do instead of watching tv.

Hope you and your mad, er, adorable little scientist can have fun with this cool experiment too!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I've been getting a lot of spam comments, so I hate to do it to you, but I've put the word verification back on so you have to prove you're "not a robot." Please don't let that stop you from leaving a note!